Wednesday, September 13, 2006

complete...

Standing by the window, staring at the vastness of the sky, I felt a hand touch me. As I turned back, I saw a pair of eyes that instilled faith in me. A smile that drove away the wrinkles on my forehead. It was these things about him that ensured me.... he was mine. Ever since, the path of our lives have crossed, I have always felt complete.

I found him on the beach, 2 years back. He was wading into deeper waters and was too small to fight the waves. I was taking a leisurely stroll along the waters. He was alone. Nobody seemed to be having an eye on a boy as young as him. He barely looked like 6yr old. As I wondered what a child like him was doing in such deep waters and how could the parents be so careless, his bobbing head suddenly disappeared. Racing against the waves, I frantically searched for that tiny form of life. By the time I reached him, his head bobbed up again. Smiling, he said, he knew how to swim.

I found him every single evening after that day. First a few smiles, then a little ruffling of hair, then an enthusiastic wave from far off and then to waiting for each other to turn up, we had become friends...fast friends. I bought him something small everyday, may be a choclate or an ice gola. He never questioned me when I din't buy him anything.


He came alone everyday. Intrigued by the observation, I asked him the big 'why'.
" I stay in that house there. That aunty lets us go to play every evening, but she doesn't take us out. So, I jumped the gate to see what it is like outside." "Who stays with you at home?" I asked. "Oh! there a lot of friends and aunty." As I looked in the direction of his house, I could read just one word 'orphanage'. The whole world seemed to spin. The sound of the waves seemed to get louder. How could He do this to a child as adorable as this 6 yr old?


I had called him 'kiddo' from the very start and was surprised that I had never bothered to ask him his name.

"Kiddo! would you like to stay with me?"
" you mean..in your house?"
"yes!"
"forever?"
"forever."

I named kiddo, Aryan. He became my son officially this day, 2 years back. He is in class III, in the school nearby. We are celeberating his b'day today. Mom n Dad were upset that I had taken such a huge step without consulting them.... after all there was a society to answer to. A single mom was still not a very comfortable situation. It took them time to come to terms with their daughter's bold step. But they are here too.


I have given Aryan a family. But what Aryan has given me is inexplicable.


This is purely a work of imagination. So please don't ask me, if I actually have an Aryan!

5 comments:

Ranjeeth Shetty said...

Hi Novice,

I really don't know what the name signifies. For me you are no Novice. You are mastermind of imagination.

Great work of imagination.

Anonymous said...

Dear Malavika
Human Relations can be viewed from a kaleidoscope of thoughts and that is what gives it immense depth...wonderful to read another facet explored...
let me share an anecdote...an adopted child asked his mum..."ma, they tell me i did not come from your stomach,where did i come from?"...the mum answered..."dear! you came from my heart!"...how beautiful a thought...
kudos to all those couples who have adopted kids and given them a home...
love
madhurima

Novice said...

hey ranjeeth..

thanks so much..not only for the compliments..but also for visiting my blog..n leaving ur thoughts behind..

I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Hi...
how r u doing....
v touchy imagination.
renu

Anonymous said...

hey,
the name aryan strkes a bell! as i know u this just the beginning of ur imagination! once it takes it's wings n u start flying,there's no stopping u!