Thursday, June 22, 2006

Lifeless?

Recently my father decided to sell our car and buy a more sophisticted and sleeker version of the automobile. After weeks of looking at 'profiles' of various cars from various companies, the family finally decided on one called the Azeera (A Hyundai car,common in the middle eastern countries) . I termed it the upper middle-class' Mercedes. We were all excited about our latest and so far the most extarvagant buy.

We were to exchange our old Camry for the Azeera. The date for the exchange was set. Like little kids waiting for their new toy to come, Dad, Mom and me, hardly slept the previous night.
The salesman came and delivered the new car on the doorstep, beautifully wrapped in red ribbon. She was gorgeous. He then asked us for the old car keys. Dad handed them over and the Camry was slowly driven out of our lives. As it went past the last visible bend of road, my eyes were filled. The Camry had driven me to all my exams, all my parties, all my movies. I had discovered the city sitting in it's lap and now she no more would be ours.

With the lump in my throat, I confessed to my parents, that last night I had hugged the Camry and lay in it's lap for sometime. I had muttered a silent Thank you and bid a personal goodbye. Both Dad and Mom, then sheepishly confessed that they had done the same.

Months later, we parked our 'Merc' at a new shopping complex that had opened up. As I approached the entrance, my eyes fell on a silver Camry parked. It looked like my car. To take closer look, I walked towards it. It was all painted new and registration plate wasn't the same. There was no way to say it was mine. As I shrugged and was about to leave, suddenly I felt a tug. Looking back, I found my shirt entwined around the radio reciever antenna. Smiling I released myself and ran to mom n dad and said " OUR car...our camry!"

Are non living things really not living?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dear!
Whoa...love transcends boundaries and u experienced it too...
every element in the world has life in it...bcos we with our beliefs...faith and love infuse life into it....
love
madhu(as u like it!)

Novice said...

hi madhu!
was wondering why u hadn't commented on this...guess it was just a matter of time!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Malavika
Yeah...i was actually caught up in work and so the delay in reading your write ups...and once i did..like u see ,there was no stopping me...
Would like to share a quote i read,
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.Art is knowing which ones to keep."
- Scott Adams
I agree with the line b'cos...only we know what is in our mind when we are on a creative pursuit...would like to know your take on this...
love

Novice said...

hi dear!
agree completely!!
luv