Saturday, June 17, 2006

Murdered!!

I am a product of the recent trend of nuclear families and the single child phenomenon. As a child I once asked my mother if I would be called an orphan once both of them die.Alarmed by the thought, she put in a concept that all my cousins were my sisters n brothers and that they would care for me as much as my parents do.I have grown up with this belief and hence have loved my siblings like they were my own. Some reciprocated,a smaller number and some ignored.

There is a brother of mine, I don't know which group to put in. As single kids and having mothers who were twins, we were almost fraternal twins. We would spend all the summer holidays together, he played dolls with me and I would climb trees with him,our school achievements were always compared, a healthy competition was created and prevailed between us and we cared for eachother immensely. There were no secrets between us, as it is with someone your own.

Time passed, we were growing, from kids to teenagers and still were sharing secrets.. galfriends,mischeifs, skipping classes n going for movies n lots of those beyond-the-rules gimmicks.Stepped in together into professional college,he a future engineer and your's truly the future dentist. Our worlds were far apart yet we managed to find things in common..college life, friends, hostel nights, canteen, movies and whole lot of things. He definitely was in the smaller group of my siblings.

Out he came as an engineer and in he went into a management course. Somewhere in between the two, he met this girl. For the first time he kept this to himself. At the fag end of the management program, he decided to let me in on his little secret and arranged for a meeting of the two important women in his life. Both of us had mutually agreed to meet in the abscence of my brother and din't want him anywhere around. I was sure I would like the girl, after all my brother's choice!
We met. We talked.We left. My opinion was not totally positive. She was a nice girl but I was not sure if she would suit my brother's outlook. I was frank with him telling him exactly what I thought. He was obviously a little upset. I vowed to stand by him if he was convinced that he would be happy with this girl.

A few days later he called me and said.."It's been a long time since we have shared things. I have changed a lot over the past 2 years. SHE knows me better now and can easily manage me. I will not force you into supporting me through this. I can do this on my own. She will be a part of my life and how you come to terms with it, is upto you." From that day on, secrets remained secrets.

Don't know when and how my brother eventually jumped the fence to the larger group. Today, as I think back...I don't know which group to put him in.

He was always my 'twin' brother. Somewhere along the line, I died as his 'twin' sister.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Iam Prashant's friend Madhurima....right now iam just so overwhelmed reading your piece that words fail me.Even while stumbling upon them...i hope iam able to get my thoughts across.
I can use innumerable adjectives to praise your article...it is beautifully written, the flow of thought is well maintained..it is touching, emotional and lots more...but i personally feel that if there is something that gives it the extra edge...it is the 'feeling' component...i understand and relate to wht you have written .and that is often the biggest accomplishment of a writer...be he/she amateur or professional..
would like to share a personal incident....when i went for my kg admissions...the principal asked me how many siblings do i have?..i answered we are 5 of us..3 brothers and 2 sisters..iam the smaller one.he was perturbed and looked at my parents who were in their mid 20s...my mum grinned and told him i was counting my paternal cousins...who were in cal........
i have a younger brother(my own...sounds weird!)....and we are very close...but can never deny that i always pray that we remain this close forever...
the twin sister in you will live on...but may not surface in your actions...
have taken a lot of liberty in my comment...and not maintained the boundaries of brevity...do excuse.

Novice said...

hi madhurima..
thank u so much, not only for liking my article but taking the liberty to express so. I think this cold world could use more people like you to get warm a little!!
...n yes..i do hope,the sister in u or the brother in him never dies!

my name is malavika ,by the way..n i love ur name!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Malavika
Guess it is the 'M' magic...that brings in the 'W'armth....even the mirror image doesnt change it!!!no self praise, just reflective humor..
i do not blog..yet...dont kno if i will fall victim to this mass syndrome...anyways thank u for the compliment...
will def continue visiting your blog....
happy writing!

Novice said...

hi rima (if i may call u so!)

will look forward to ur comments! it's definitely encouraging to know my blog is among somebody's favourite!!
C ya soon!!
love

Anonymous said...

mal dear .
i dunno how to begin ..i am totally moved by this ..the pain of it all.what can i say, world has become this way.