Thursday, August 17, 2006

Another of those ' why 's..

"What do I wear today?" sing song tune of my roommate uttered every morning for the past 5 years we stayed together!She then would just grab the dirtiest and most wrinkled pair of jeans lying around, randomly pick out a top out of her closet,run the 'darn comb' (as she called it) along her hair,stand in front of the mirror for the next fifteen minutes and see herself in all angles and out she goes! And here I am busy for the past one hour, fresh after a bath,picking out a comfortable crisp shirt, a crisp pair of jeans, hair neatly in place, looking at the mirror and wondering what else to do to make the pathetic sight in front of me more presentable! After pondering on the possible methods and finally deciding on one, I realise I am running out of time and chuck the idea.

As we walk to college together, a few friends join us and there comes the first comment " hey Priya, you are looking so pretty this morning!!"Then they look at me and give me a smile which reads a "Hi"! They don't even lie to me or say something similar to just make me feel better! I look at my roomie,scan her from top to bottom and decide that she actually is looking pretty!

They say hardwork is a sure way of success. Whaaaaaaatttt? The person who said this definitely din't think of the above situation! Yes, I know..it is the inner beauty that matters at the end of the day. But it is the obvious beauty that attracts someone to actually assess the inner beauty!
So there...

Why are some people made such that anything they wear looks good on them and then why are there the other kind of people who no matter what they do, end up looking ordinary!! And if this dividion has been made, then why am I part of the latter kind?

8 comments:

Prashant said...

hey

i am little surprised that u wrote abt this!!! correct me here, i thought u didnt care what the world (people around) thought?

ok, my observation:
B S (merda). i think, we are what we are. we are what we think we are. we do what we want to do.

i dont think, you should put yourself in any division at all. sorry if i'm being judgemental here... but it is me.

love

Novice said...

hey favourite..
well..I thought she was pretty and I thought I looked like a pity..so ..that's why I am bothered about the division!

and no it doesn't affect me that I am on the other side of the fence. There are a hundred other things that could be attractive about a person...just that appearance is usualy on top of the list and can most of the times if not all, single handedly make a difference...whereas rest of the factors need each other's support!!

that's why the 'why'!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Malavika

To say i dentify with what you said would be the truth.....have at various points of time heard people comment on my intelligence, social skills etc...but also heard them say...she is plain looking.

i have accepted that and made the most of my strengths...unknowingly.it does hurt to kno you are a plain jane but when you realise you are a plain jane who can make a difference in the world...thats your strength...iam not rationalising but thought i will share with you my way of dealing with this....

a pretty face will always get a second...and a million look...but an intelligent and creative mind will get a second and a million thought...we could do more with the thoughts...couldnt we!

It may help to be beautiful...but it doesnt harm to be plain looking...

will share khalil's poem with you...


Beauty
Beauty XXV
But the restless say, "We have heard her shouting among the mountains,

And with her cries came the sound of hoofs, and the beating of wings and the roaring of lions."

At night the watchmen of the city say, "Beauty shall rise with the dawn from the east."

And at noontide the toilers and the wayfarers say, "we have seen her leaning over the earth from the windows of the sunset."

In winter say the snow-bound, "She shall come with the spring leaping upon the hills."

And in the summer heat the reapers say, "We have seen her dancing with the autumn leaves, and we saw a drift of snow in her hair."

All these things have you said of beauty.

Yet in truth you spoke not of her but of needs unsatisfied,

And beauty is not a need but an ecstasy.

It is not a mouth thirsting nor an empty hand stretched forth,

But rather a heart enflamed and a soul enchanted.

It is not the image you would see nor the song you would hear,

But rather an image you see though you close your eyes and a song you hear though you shut your ears.

It is not the sap within the furrowed bark, nor a wing attached to a claw,

But rather a garden forever in bloom and a flock of angels for ever in flight.

People of Orphalese, beauty is life when life unveils her holy face.

But you are life and you are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror.

But you are eternity and you are the mirror.



Khalil Gibran

From The Prophet


lot of love to a beautiful person,
madhurima

Anonymous said...

Hi

im renu, one of prashant's fren.
I really dunno how should i compliment you, u r juz amazing in writing. I read all your postings....if not everday atleast alternate days.

Novice said...

hi renu..
thanks so much!! i am glad u chose to speak out n not be my silent admirer!! since u r my regular visitor..will make sure i post regularly!! thanks again..u made my day!!
luv

Anonymous said...

Sneher Malavika
how are you doing?
no new post....missing ur thoughts woman...
saw ur snaps...you are really pretty and have a dazzling smile....now tht i have seen your snap dont even know from frm where these 'why' thoughts came and why did they ever come....
moner kotha bhablam tomake likheyi di.....bhalo theko
onek onek aador
iti
madhurima

Novice said...

hi madhu..
thank u!! onek kaando korle ektu bhalo dakhaye..
anyway..notun post dilam..moner kotha nishchoy jaaniyo!
onek ador

Prashant said...

hey

both of you.

onek bhatuk adour kaando korle ektu onek bhalo bahtuk dakhaye khemon.......
babes of bengal. do you guys realise that people like me also go through this blog & are puzzled cos everytime i read what you've written(both of you), my mouth hurts.

English please.

love