Friday, August 04, 2006

Lost traditions..

Mom is bengalee and Dad is telugu-kannadiga. So, I get to celeberate a lot of festivals and some festivals twice!!

As a child I remember the hustle and bustle that would start two-three days before 'the puja'.... the shopping for fruits and sweets and flowers, taking out the silver vessels from the safe and washing them, the careful cleaning of the sanctum sanctorum of the diety, every nook n corner of the house being swept of dirt, the crefully prepared sweets and other delicacies.The morning of the Puja, everybody is woken up early and made to have a bath( despise early morning bath!!), wear fresh new clothes ( my favourite part!) and then as a kid I was allowed to do anything that 1. would not get me or my clothes dirty 2. would not hamper the arrangements made.

I always waited for the chanting and sanskrit slokaas, the elaborate procedure of the Puja to finish, so I could just get back to playing, after of course the 'prasaddam'. Not being a food fad much, I disliked the forceful eating of the numerous delicacies made. ( I could eat one or two..but not all) I loved the evenings when all the ladies in the 'pattu' saris would come home and I was made to wear a sari too and serve them. I would end up serving just one lady and either the sari would fall off or I would trip over it!!

It's been ages since I have been to such a Puja, smelt the burning oil and incense, worn those traditional clothes, walked on the wet front porch, the mango leaves brushing past my head, heard my granma humming while making the arrangements, felt the excitement in the air, seen the beauty of the idols, tasted the sweets dipped in home made ghee.

Yes, I miss the festival food. I miss the chants and slokaas. I miss the early morning hustle and bustle and yes the early morning refreshing bath! I miss the look of my home all dressed up. I miss the tradition.

Life suddenly seems to be confined to a whole lot of smart tactics to get somewhere....acts that slowly are leaving me hollow!

4 comments:

Sheraton said...

Life suddenly seems to be confined to a whole lot of smart tactics to get somewhere....acts that slowly are leaving me hollow!

My thoughts: I agree to quite an extent but I feel one of those things that will eventually make us respect ourselves is standing on our feet through our own hardwork and honest dedication. We must then be thinking not only of the past, those glorious childhood days that often came on a platter, but also be thinking ahead - of what legacy we might leave behind. Consuming something (material or immaterial) brings happiness yes, but its creating/producing something that makes us respect ourselves.

You are working hard towards it. Respect your goal and take time to feel good :)

Best

Novice said...

hey sharath...U r right this time..it is probably coz I haven't yet made the picture I want to see..that makes me feel hollow..the day the picture is made..I'm sure I'll respect myself!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Malavika

I think i will save my elaborate comments on this blog for the time ven u come down to Bangalore.

All i will tell for now is that life is always about choices...never do a value judgement about them because what seems right today maynot be the case tomorrow and viceversa.... see you will get entangled in a viscious circle of judgements...ok iam confused now.

really sorry about not reading your blog often...am quite hardpressed for time...still getting used to this new life of a research scholar at IISc...

your posts are a breath of fresh air i could always do with...thank u.

BTW....i didnt know u r partially Bong..and may i say iam mighty pleased about it...this does explain the creative side of you..excuse for sounding ethnocentric!iam a bong with respect to my lineage...but like to clarify that iam a bong at heart and a bangalorean at mind ...

gotta rush...
bye for now
love
madhu

Novice said...

hi madhu!!
there that's why we clicked from start..without meeting each other!!
n i agree i am bong at heart n bangalorean in the mind... the other way will be disastrous!!