Wednesday, August 23, 2006

luck shining...

The travel from college to home was an hour and a half long involving two bus terminals.
Everyday this travel brought in a new experience. Everyday I met a new daughter, a new mother, a new sister, a new daughter-in-law , a new mother-in-law,a new friend. For the whole hour, I would share, directly or indirectly ( read overhearing) their emotions on one or more events of their lives. I witnessed friends preparing for exams, daughter taking her mother shopping, the mutual cursing club of the mother n daughter in law,a marriage proposal being accepted n rejected.. just plain interactions..etc.

During one such travel, as I stood comfortably and wore my ear phones listening to the radio,a group of air force cadets got in. Why do I say airforce..well, their headquarters was en route.The HQ stop always had my head turning and eyes wandering. I would know even in sleep when the bus zeroed in to that stop!I always had a fascination for these cadets, not army, not navy..purely the air force!! Please don't ask a why!!

Well..it was their day out and they were just getting back after all the fun. Inspite of the radio, I could hear them. From their conversation, it appeared as though they were late or had taken time beyond their norms.As the journey progressed, the conversations got shorter and were quieter. One of them was standing right behind me.He was tall, seemed well built and goodlooking. Not that I had turned around and checked him out, but got an obscure glimpse of him from the corner of my eye.

After a while, I heard " what are you observing ma'm?". It got me thinking on how could there be a lady amongst them, when all I saw entering were guys. I waited patiently to hear the "ma'm" answer, so I could try and locate her position. Instead the question was repeated and this time with an additional " I know you can hear me, inspite of the ear phones". My heart skipped a beat! Was he talking to ME? yeeeeaaahhh!! I was thrilled. Blood rushed to my cheeks and I turned around startled. He was charming just as I thought. He had that factor that could send a girl dizzy with his thoughts for the next four days. A factor I can't describe or name, but I am sure all girls are aware of.

Hoping against hope that my hair was just right, my face not too oily or sweaty and I was not looking as tired as I was feeling, I managed a feeble smile. He smiled back flirtatiously." nothing much... just people and their reactions". " What do you get out of observing them?" " Well..just speculate on what their thoughts are and be a part of this very moment of their life!". By now, he was peering into my eyes and I wasn't very comfortable with that, though was elated! " what do you do?" " I am doing my dentistry"" how about you?" " I fly planes........................" I frankly din't hear a word he said. I kept staring at him and noticed that his eyes were constantly into mine all the while. Confidence oozed out of him. His mouth crinkled into another of those flirtatious half smiles " You haven't registered a single word I said! I am sure!" I blinkedand steered my eyes away. My heart was now pounding. I swallowed helplessly.Oops!! How did he know that? He wasn't supposed to make out!! I cursed myself for losing my senses and control.

" well..my stop is here. It was nice talking to you. You have a beautiful pair of eyes. Hope to get another chance to look into them!" Another killing smile and off the bus he was. Our eyes locked one last time as the bus moved. He waved and I smiled back.

Well, the next half hour of the journey whizzed by. I was not in this world. Nothing around me seemed to catch my attention.I was mesmerised by the recent events and was thanking God profusely for making my day. My face seemed to have a permanat smile stuck to it.It must have been that one rupee coin I gave the beggar or may be that biscuit I fed the dog with, that I was rewarded for.

I got down at my stop and walked towards home with a spring in my step.After a long, tiring day..what a refreshing encounter it was! Did I say I was tired? May be I was..who remembers!All I remember is that face, those eyes and those parting words. That was one day I remember having slept peacefully.

6 comments:

Ranjeeth Shetty said...

Hi,

The first paragraph shows that you observe only feminine talks. There is not mention of boy and girl talk [quarrel ;)], a father and a daughter...et al. Has this something to do with being educated at Little Rock, A school claiming of being a co-ed yet maintaining the distance between boy and girl.

This could have made you even nervous when a man spoke to you. Should you not try to open your horizon?

Well, if you wondered who this was. I came across your blog through ‘Little Rock’ alumni blog.

Nice Piece, next time take the trouble to understand somebody… :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Malavika
Some of us are blessed with the inherent ability to observe...it is a boon and a bane.....
Observation often fuels introspection and then our thought processes are never the same.
On a lighter note, ever wondered why it is 'Lady Luck'....because it represents the better half of the world...(one of my rare original lines iam really proud of!!!)
love
madhurima

Novice said...

hi rajneesh!!
it is not the LRIS lingering on in me. Guess u haven't observed buses in b'lore.. the women sit in the front of the bus..n men at the back..they never sit togeether..even if they are spouses..that's why no mention of a male-female interaction! this particular incident happened coz I was at the transition zone in a typically crowded bus!
take the trouble to understand somebody? could u explain that..din't get what u mean!!

Sheraton said...

He had that factor that could send a girl dizzy with his thoughts for the next four days. A factor I can't describe or name, but I am sure all girls are aware of.

Hmm...that is what heterosexual men will find hard to imagine (other than thru the corresponding analogy on the other side ) but will accept (and hope!) something like that exists.

Sheraton said...

I like Madhurima's comments too ..abt "Observation often fuels introspection and then our thought processes are never the same." ...i assume she wasnt restriction 'observation' to people watching ..but generally other things too...

Anonymous said...

Hey Malavika
On your space, i take the liberty to comment on what one of your friend has written.
Hi Sharath...thank you.yes, observation is not limited to trivial viewing...and not limited to a gender aspect at all....but the occipital lobe in the brain...
cya